Life of aspiring Social Worker/Baker/Chef

Social Causes Meets Food Obsession

Saturday, June 19, 2010

For the man in my life...

Many of my close and personal friends know I have a wonderful man in my life. He tells me he loves me for no reason, that I am his best friends and makes me laugh daily.

Ok, ok I have two....but in all fairness I made this one. :)



And we were also out of town for his birthday....So, what do you do for an impromptu celebration? Chuck E Cheese! His bffs from Memphis came and we scheduled a play date at the said establishment. And it wouldn't be a play date with out sugary goodness. I made ice cream cupcakes (this is the first year I made cupcakes for his birthday).

I got the idea from Joy the Baker. However, Conner wanted Lighting McQueen flavored ice cream (where do you even find that? can you imagine Disney-Pixar flavored ice cream?). And I was baking in a kitchen as a guest with out my normal spices and goodies.

I opted for using a cake mix instead of home made and made a chocolate fudge icing instead of a true Ganache, but for a play date/celebratory affair they turned out mighty fine.



Strawberry Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
(Adapted, but not by much, from Joy the Baker)
*Devil's food cake mix
*1/2 cup of Sour cream
*1/4 Tsp of sugar
*Softened strawberry ice cream
*Cup cake liners
*3/4 cup Chocolate Chips
*1/4 cup Heavy cream
*Sprinkles

Prepare your cake batter according to the directions. Add the 1/2 cup of Sour cream and the sugar (this moistens the cake mix batter to fool people into thinking it is home made). Fill the liners only about half way or a little less. I only made half the cake mix and still had some cake mix left over. Allow to completely cool.

While the cupcakes are making, place the ice cream in the refrigerator and allow to soften. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop your ice cream right on top of the cupcakes still in the pan. Take a spoon and pack and smooth the ice cream. Place the cupcakes in the freeze. Allow to refreeze.

The day before or 2 hours before the party heat the heavy cream in a small sauce pan on medium heat, remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Stir until shiny. Coat the cupcakes (quickly as it will immediately set when it touches the ice cream). Top with sprinkles and again refreeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment